Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport officials want the public to be aware of a pet scam involving bogus purchases and false claims that animals are being detained at the airport.
The airport has some tips:
• Recent scams have come from Cameroon shipping, Atlanta_intl_airport@usa.com and email@example.com.
• Scam e-mails use unofficial airport e-mail addresses. All official
Department of Aviation e-mails will have @atlanta-airport.com addresses.
• Be wary of sellers who communicate only through e-mail. A
legitimate transaction should allow the buyer to communicate directly
with the breeder and the veterinarian to inquire about the animal’s
• Beware of sellers who use pressure tactics in e-mail communication.
• Avoid sellers who accept only wire payments or money orders. Use a
payment method that offers fraud protection, such as a credit card.